Saturday, November 3, 2012

Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup


So.... I'm back!  I know, I know, it's been forever. FOR-EV-ER.  Well, I'm sorry.  I had my first baby and life got a little crazy.  Needless to say, there were a lot of things that took the back burner while I figured out this whole being a mom thing.  I'm sure many of you have made the transition to having kids.  It's a little overwhelming at first - there are so many products to weed through before the baby comes, sleepless nights, learning how to do everything with one arm, spit up, drool, crying, feeding, changing - it's busy, that's for sure!  But, I seriously love it.  Whenever she smiles and laughs it melts me a million times over.  I love, love, love it!  So, now that I'm adjusted, I'm excited to start things up on the blog again and trying more recipes.

The one I'm posting for you today is AWESOME!  I love soups in the fall and winter, and this one is classic.  Can you agree with me that homemade soups completely beat out canned??  I mean after making this chicken noodle, there is no way I could go back to plain old canned chicken noodle soup.  We love to have this soup creamy style, but if you prefer to have regular chicken noodle - you can just leave the cream sauce out.  Enjoy!

How was the adjustment to your first baby?

What is your favorite soup?

Printable Version

Ingredients:
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 onion, chopped
5 cups water
1 teaspoon chicken boullion
4-5 large carrots, sliced
1 teaspoon onion salt
4-5 celery stalks, sliced
2 teaspoons salt 

8 ounces Rotini (spiral) pasta

Cream Sauce

6 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup flour
2 cups milk

Directions:
1. Boil all ingredients (except cream sauce ingredients) for 1 hour.
2. When chicken is tender, remove from broth and shred. If the liquid has reduced too much you can add some more water at this point.
3. Add 2 cups of uncooked noodles and continue to boil for 20 minutes.
4. Start the cream sauce by melting butter in large sauce pan. Whisk in flour, stirring constantly.
5. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly until thickened (get it pretty thick). Add salt and pepper.
6. Add cream sauce to broth/noodle mixture.

Source: Adapted from Real Mom Kitchen

3 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm glad you are back! Even while you were away, I'd still use your blog for recipes every now and then. I love homemade chicken noodle soup, but I've never made it before. I'll have to try this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if you were going to keep posting on here. I'm so happy you are! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray for a new recipe. Making it today!

    ReplyDelete